Caring for the Pearl Oyster Mushroom kit you have just purchased is very easy.
- Keep the kit out of direct sunlight for extended periods of time, and in the temperature range of 40-80ºF. While the bag is still growing mycelium (the white stuff!), room temperature in a dry, dark location is best.
- Once the bag is fully-grown, i.e., fully-encased in white mycelium and is more like a piece of foam in texture and strength, it is ready to make mushrooms!
- Do not attempt to open the bag before it is fully-grown.
- Do not attempt to allow the bag to fruit mushrooms inside your home – some species of mushroom release spores and are best kept outside in case they do drop any spores. However, while the bag is growing white mycelium, keeping it indoors is fine.
Fruiting/Mushroom Flushing Directions
- Once the bag is fully-grown with white tissue and has a foam-like consistency and strength, you can hang the bag from a strong hook, or lay the back with the white filter patch facing up in a shaded location out of direct sunlight, and preferably out of where rain can fall on it.
- For 1-2 large bouquets of mushrooms, make a 0.5-inch by 0.5-inch “+” incision in the bag with a sharp knife below the white filter patch. For more bouquets of mushrooms, but smaller amounts, you can make up to 4 pin-pricks into the face of the bag on the side with the white filter patch.
- After cutting and taking the bag outside in step 2, just simply wait 7-10 days for mushrooms to appear. You can pick them whenever they are to your liking, but their shape and size should be like the following picture:
- After a flush of mushrooms (a fruiting cycle) you can let the bag rest in the location you have stored it outside. You can also keep it moist by lightly misting with water.
- After 3 flushes totaling 2-3 pounds of fresh mushrooms, your mushroom kit will be spent in terms of producing anymore. However, you could encourage it to infect dead wood, such hardwood chips, by simply taking the mushroom block out of the bag (discard the bag in the trash) and breaking it up onto fresh woodchips and soaking the woodchips and pieces of the spent block. You could very well never have any mushroom come back at this stage, or, in the best case, have them come back for years in your woodchip bed or pile. This species of mushroom is very forgiving in its ability to survive on wood and paper substrates.